Bicyclists Need to Remember to Watch Out for Motorists
In the previous blog segment we discussed tips for motorists in an effort to increase awareness of Arizona’s growing biking communities and what they can do to help prevent accidents. In this segment, Cobblestone Auto Spa continues our discussion with a focus on bicyclists and what they can do to also help prevent accidents.
- Review all traffic laws and cycling rules. Bicyclists are often considered equal to motorists when riding on the roads or in bike lanes. You need to know how to signal that you are turning and know who has the right-of-way.
- Never ride into oncoming traffic. People believe that riding into oncoming traffic makes it easier to be seen, but it violates biking rules.
- Ride defensively. Do not assume all motorists see you. Assume they have not seen you, and be prepared for the unexpected, like the driver making a sudden lane change or turning in front of you.
- Use your head. Wear protective gear, like helmets, and make sure your clothing is brightly colored and easy to see. If you are riding in the evening, use battery operated head and tail lamps, along with plenty of reflectors.
- Avoid distractions. Pay attention to your surroundings and do not text or listen to music with both earbuds in.
- Maintain your bike. Find a full service car wash near you where you can take your bike to get it washed by hand and have it lubricated.
Please feel free to contact Cobblestone Auto Spa at (602) 788-9274 to find out what washing and maintenance services we offer for bicyclists.